Sunday, December 7, 2014

Ch-ch-ch-changes (my apologies to David Bowie)

So, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving was my last day of teaching school. It seemed so odd. I didn't like telling my students goodbye. But at same time, I didn't like lying to them. I had only been telling them the partial truth. Oh, they've known about the Parkinson's since day 1. I just didn't want them to worry about me, so I acted as if everything was fine. I told them I was having medication changes and that I'd be taking a medical leave. I didn't tell them until the last day that it was permanent.

Having Parkinson's Disease has complicated my life in ways that I couldn't have imagined when I was first diagnosed. This disease has progressed faster than I would've believed. Everyone's different, so it's hard for me to compare my experiences with anyone else. I really thought that I would be teaching longer than this. There are no guarantees. I am disappointed that my life is no longer following MY plan.

Griping aside: being a Parkie has dictated certain activity changes. I can no longer walk distances. Even with my cane and Brent's hand to hold onto, I can only go so far. Cooking and baking wear me out! I made dinner last night, (beef and noodles, mashed potatoes, and peas). After dinner, I wanted to make Rice Krispy Treats and Scotcheroos. It was a good thing that both the boys were over - they followed the instructions well! I just supervised! Housework is almost impossible. Brent does most everything when I cannot.

So what can I do? I can still scrapbook. In fact, I just have to put a few things together and my Christmas cards will be done. I can still quilt! I am so much slower at sewing and cutting that I currently have 15 projects to complete. Most of the projects I began at quilt guild monthly workshops. I work too slow to get it done that same day. Now that I am no longer working, I should get more done. ☺️ I can still read. I haven't read much lately and I used to be a voracious reader. My not reading so much irritates Brent. What he needs to understand is that I realize my various crafting activities are winding down. I will have plenty of time to read when my fingers no longer work well. I can still enjoy the sunrise. It is cold here, but sunny and clear. Beautiful.

Enough rambling already! This was not meant to sound depressing! Next time, I will try to catch everyone up on the boys. Right now, I need to finish Christmas cards and work on my Hunter's Star piecing! Take care!

1 comment:

  1. you are an inspiration to me Deb! I know you'll miss your students but you haven't stopped living and I admire that! Can't wait to see more of your creations

    ReplyDelete