Saturday, July 6, 2013

Hexies

have never been a huge fan of hexies. However, today at our family reunion, a cousin came to me with the beginnings of a Grandma's Flower Garden quilt. It had been her mother-in-law's project and the cousin wasn't sure what to do with it. I agreed to take it and now I'm trying to figure out how best to finish it! You see, the hexagon quilt blocks are not made well. They are wonky and puckered - some are bigger, some are smaller, and the fabrics are different. I think old dishtowels were used and who knows what else - linen, cotton, some woven material that reminds me of feed sacks. Don't get me wrong, some of the fabrics are very pretty and vibrant. Unfortunately, I'm trying to press them and found out even Best Press is causing some discoloration and color bleeding. Perhaps the discoloration will be less noticeable after I wash the quilt. Of course, I'll need to use color catchers in the laundry.

The quilt obviously has sentimental value. Maybe the best thing to try to do is just stitch the rest of the blocks together and then have it quilted. It won't lie flat but it should be better. I'm going to say that the wonkiness adds to the charm of the quilt. If I tried to take it apart and redo it, I would ruin her efforts and hard work. Please don't expect this to be a quick finish, though! :-)


3 comments:

  1. This is a labor of love for sure ... <3 Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, you're brave Deb! it's beautiful but what a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be a challege but so worth it to see the finished results of soemthing someone tried to make so long ago...And who knows your finished version may have been just wha tshe had in mind. You have the chance to keep her dream alive by seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete